Lucy by the Sea by Elizabeth Strout


Lucy by the Sea by Elizabeth Strout is the fourth book in the Amgash series by the author. I have not read the other books, so my review may seem a bit unfair to the fans. This can be read as a stand-alone book. Lucy is a writer who lives in NYC. She is still in the grieving process since the death of her second husband David the previous year.

Lucy's first husband, William demands she leave NY and the crowds as soon as the Covid pandemic is declared. William is divorced and must feel a sense of protection for Lucy. I did not understand how she could let someone she had divorced years earlier insist she leave her apartment and go to Maine until the pandemic is over. Why would you want to be shut in with someone you do not normally want to live with? Lucy is not very assertive, but she agrees to go and live in an older house that overlooks the sea. William actually has another reason for wanting to go to Maine. There is someone special he wants to meet! 

The story is written with a lot of emotion. As I read the book, I felt sad and lonely. I just did not enjoy reliving the confusing days of the pandemic and being reminded of the worry and grief of that time in my own life. Maybe I will try reading the first book in the series and I will have a different view of Lucy as an independent person.

Thank you to NetGalley, the author and publisher for the opportunity to read this book.

Comments