Mary Kubica When the Lights Go Out, Insomnia can make you Crazy!



When the Lights Go Out by author Mary Kubica is so well written until I felt so much distress as I was reading the book I had to go take an anxiety pill. That is the truth! I am a bit disappointed in the fact that I had invested so much of myself, my emotions, and my time in reading and worrying about Jessie until at the ending I felt slapped in the face. That is why I am giving the book 4 stars, it grabbed my emotions and stomped on them.
The story will bring you into the sad distress of Jessica as she sits with her dying mother, is unable to sleep, has restless legs, falls asleep just long enough for her mom to die while she sleeps, is unable to concentrate on things around her, sees and hears things which may be actually happening or maybe her tired mind is playing tricks on her, and I keep worrying that she is going to jump off the building.
In the middle of Jessie's psychological meltdown, we have some history of her mother, Eden. I lost my compassion for Eden when she actively planned to steal a child. Her obsession for a baby got so out of control until she turned away from the person who truly loved her and had asked her to get help in coming to terms with her infertility. Also, she ran away from him when he wanted to come back home. Eden did not even talk to him about her condition??!
I allowed this book to make me feel sad, worried, fearful, alone, and desperate. The author was very successful in her writing! Although, the ending...seemed rushed and a bit confusing.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book. 

____________________________________________

Art Images or Photographs by Diane Lochala-All Rights Reserved

"Sleepwalking"

Comments